Legal Requirements for Marriage

Marriageable Age

As from 1 August 1991, the marriageable age is 18 years. If a person, not yet 18, wishes to marry prior to his or her 18th birthday, only a court empowered to give a 'Section 12' order can give authority for this marriage to be solemnised.

A Notice of Intended Marriage may be lodged prior to the 18th birthday, as long as the marriage occurs after the birthday.

Proof of Age

Both the bride and groom are required to provide proof of age.

If born in Australia, a full Australian Birth Certificate must be provided.

If born overseas, a foreign birth certificate or a valid overseas passport will be accepted. If these are in another language, they must be officially translated into English.

If you are unable to provide these documents, call me for further details.

Previous Marriages

If either party has been previously married, you must provide the marriage celebrant with evidence of the termination in the form of a Certificate of Decree Absolute (if divorced) or a full Death Certificate (if widowed). Certificates in a foreign language must be translated into English by an authorised interpreter/translator service. Photocopies are not accepted.

Registering a Marriage

As part of the marriage serivce I provide, I will register your marriage with the Australian Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages.

Formalities & Legal Requirements for Marriage in Australia

  • You must be at least 18 years of age to marry in Australia If you are Australian born you must show your birth certificate. If born outside Australia, you are required to show your birth certificate or passport from your country of birth.
  • If you have been previously married, you must show your Divorce Decree Absolute or a Death Certificate of a previous spouse.
  • You are required to have two witnesses to the ceremony – I can organize this for you, if you do not have friends or family in Sydney.
  • When we meet prior to the wedding I must sight your passports or birth certificate.
  • Notices may be lodged in person, via fax or mail and you must bring the original Notice with you. I must receive the appropriately witnessed Notice at least one month and one day prior to the wedding. You can lodge this with me up to 18 months in advance of the wedding.
  • If you are bringing your partner into Australia on a prospective spouse visa I can provide you with the necessary letter for the Immigration Department.